Purpose: To show participants the impact that certain drinks can have on their teeth and the emphasize the importance of brushing their teeth regularly
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Small, clear Tupperware containers
- 1 cup of the following liquids
- Dark colored soda or coffee,
- Kool-Aid or other colored, sugary drink
- Place hard-boiled eggs in Tupperware containers.
- Cover each egg completely with one of the liquids.
- Let them sit all day and have participants periodically check them to notice what is happening.
- At the end of the day, take the eggs out of the liquid and notice what happened to the shells.
- The egg shell in the milk will remain white and strong.
- The egg shells in the soda, coffee and Kool-Aid will take on the color of the liquid.
- The egg shell in the vinegar with become “squishy” and soft. Allow participants to touch this egg and feel how soft the shell is while comparing it to the enamel in our teeth. Explain that this is what happens to our teeth when we don’t take care of them.
- Have participants take turns using the toothpaste and toothbrush to brush away the discoloration on the dark colored egg shells.
- Discuss the importance of oral hygiene and properly brushing teeth.